Home and School
What is the Home and School?
The St Mary's Home & School is a committee of parents and caregivers of St Mary's school children, whose aim is to foster a closer relationship between the home and the school for the benefit of our children. The committee also forms an important link between the school and the wider community.
The Home & School organises fundraising events and members have a say in how funds are spent to best benefit our children.
Who can join?
All parents/whanau and caregivers are encouraged to participate in the Home & School. A committee is elected each year at the AGM held in March.
The Home & School committee is made up of several positions:
- Committee Members
The Home & School are supported by the Principal and Teachers who also attend meetings.
Meetings are held for 1 hour once a month, usually after school. Dates are advertised in the School Newsletter and reminders & minutes emailed to parents on the contact list.
Input is invited from all families and an agenda is available before each meeting.
Recent projects funded by the Home & School include:
- Playground additions - new swings
- Maori tutor
- Library books - $1500 annual donation
- Blinds for the classrooms
- New freezer for pies
- Scripts for the end of year production
- Subsidising buses for school trips
- Sports uniforms
- Funding to bring performers to school
- Digital cameras for the classrooms
- Computer table
- Listening post
How can you help?
The Home & School encourages parents to attend meetings and share ideas. You are welcome to attend meetings at any stage of the year even if you are not elected on the Committee at the AGM. Please come along when you can - we'd love to see you there.
Other ways you can help include:
- Selling raffle tickets
- Helping out at events (eg. Discos, Twilight fair, catering jobs etc)
- Baking for the school fair & cake stalls
- Sharing any special skills or expertise you have
Some of our recent fundraisers:
- Twilight fair
- Catering for Golf Club Centennial
- Keith Quinn - guest speaker
- Tupperware evening
- Pies, savs & fizzy
- Cattle grazing
- Catering for various suppers
What's in it for you?
- Get to know other parents
- Build relationships with your child's teacher
- Meet people in your community
- Develop skills that look great on your CV
- More fundraising = less expense for parents for school trips, visits etc
- Some fun nights out - it's not all hard work!
- Have a say in the types of resources that are purchased for your child's classroom
- Your chance to make a difference to your children's educational environment
- You will be a role model to your children
FOR MORE INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT:
- Leeanne Phillips President
- Gaynor Hayes (Mrs H) at school office Ph: 417 8585
- Join our Facebook group: St Mary's Home & School